Do you have a 2016–17 Family Tax Benefit (FTB) debt?

1 October 2018

You need to act now, or your Family Tax Benefit (FTB) payments will stop.

If you have a 2016–17 family assistance debt, we sent you an Account Payable notice in September. The notice asked you to pay back the full amount of FTB you received for 2016–17. This is because you didn’t confirm your family income.

If you don’t take action now, your FTB payments will stop.

What you need to do

You and your partner need to confirm your income. You can do this by either:

  • lodging your tax return for 2016–17 with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
  • telling us you don’t need to lodge one

You need to do this even if you only received FTB for part of the 2016-17 financial year.

If you don’t need to lodge a tax return, tell us by using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. In the app, go to Task and select Advise Non Lodgement of Tax Return from the Menu.

You can also tell us using your Centrelink online account through myGov. Our step by step guide will show you how to advise non lodgement of tax return.

If you’ve lodged your tax return, you don’t need to do anything else. We’ll get the information we need from the ATO once they process your return.

If you don’t do anything

Your FTB payments will stop in November. We can’t pay you again until you either:

  • confirm your income
  • pay the debt back in full

It’s important you talk to us if you’re worried about paying back a debt. We can work with you to manage your debt and set up a repayment plan you can afford.

More information

Find out if you need to lodge a tax return. Use the do I need to lodge a tax return tool on the ATO website.

Got questions? Save time and ask us at Family Update on Facebook or tweet @FamilyUpdateAU.

Read more:

Page last updated: 1 October 2018