Do you have reportable fringe benefits?

5 July 2017

The way we assess reportable fringe benefits has changed. This may affect your family income estimate.

What’s changed

If you receive reportable fringe benefits from your employer, the way we assess them has changed.

A reportable fringe benefit is a benefit either you, your partner or children, receive from an employer. Some examples include:

  • help paying your rent or home loan
  • a home phone
  • a car
  • school fees for children
  • health insurance premiums
  • child care fees
  • benefits you get under salary sacrifice arrangements

Reportable fringe benefits make up part of your adjusted taxable income.

For most people, we use 100% of the total value of reportable fringe benefits when calculating your rate.

Some employers are exempt from this. From 1 July 2017, if you receive reportable fringe benefits from any of these employers, we’ll only use 53% of the total value.

Examples of these employers include: 

  • public benevolent institutions
  • health promotion charities
  • some hospitals and public ambulance services

How it works

If you receive family assistance payments, we use your adjusted taxable income to work out your payment rate.

This means you need to tell us about any reportable fringe benefits you receive. You can do this by updating your family income estimate.

At the end of the financial year, you can find your reportable fringe benefits on your payment summary. You can also ask your employer to tell you the expected amount.

Next steps

Read more about your:

Got questions? Save some time and ask us at Family Update on Facebook or tweet @FamilyUpdateAU

Read more families news.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017