Don’t miss out on family assistance

20 March 2018

Time is running out! Lodge your tax return for the 2016-17 financial year or tell us if you don’t need to lodge one.

If you received family assistance payments during the 2016-17 financial year, you need to confirm your income.

You need to do this by 30 June 2018 so we can balance your payments. If you have a partner they’ll need to do this too.

What you need to do

Confirm your income by lodging a tax return with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or by telling us you don’t need to lodge one.

If you're unsure if you need to lodge a return, check by using the Do I need to lodge a tax return? tool on the ATO website.

If you or your partner don’t need to lodge a tax return for the 2016-17 financial year, tell us. The easiest way to do this is online.

You can do this by using your:

If you don’t do anything

You may miss out on top up payments or supplements you were eligible to receive.  

You may also get a debt and have to repay the amount of family assistance you received for the 2016-17 financial year.

Your Family Tax Benefit payments may also stop.

Next steps

Read more about Balancing family assistance payments.

Got questions? Save time and ask us at Family Update on Facebook or tweet @FamilyUpdateAU.

Read more families news.

Page last updated: 4 April 2018