Don’t need to lodge a tax return?

9 June 2017

We still need information from you to balance your family payments.

We balance your family assistance payments each financial year to make sure you receive the right amount.

Not everyone who receives family assistance has to do the same thing for us to balance their payments.

You don’t need to do anything if for the full financial year, you:

We’ll automatically balance your payments after 3 July 2017. This will happen once you receive your final Family Tax Benefit (FTB) payment. However, you’ll only be paid FTB Part A supplement if your income is below $80,000.

If you think your income will be $80,000 or more, you should update your family income estimate.

You’ll need to tell us you don’t need to lodge a tax return if you:

  • were partnered for at least some of the financial year
  • didn’t receive an income support payment for the full financial year

If you have a partner, they’ll need to tell us too. We take both of you into account when balancing payments for either or both of you.

It’s easy to let us know. You don’t even need to call or visit us. You can do this from 3 July 2017 using your Centrelink online account through myGov or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

To let us know, simply select Advise non-lodgement of tax return in your online account or app. You’ll need to select the reason why you don’t need to lodge and confirm your income for the year. You don’t need to declare FTB or child care payments as income.

To save you time, we’ll prefill this information for you. This will happen once you are paid your regular FTB after 1 July 2017.

If you don’t have an online account, we’ll send you a letter or SMS with instructions.

We know it can be confusing to work out what you need to do. If you’re not sure, use our Tax Time Checker or have a look at the common scenarios families face at tax time.

This can help you find out what you need to do and when you need to do it for your payments to be balanced.

Next steps

Find out if you need to lodge a tax return by using the do I need to lodge a tax return tool on the ATO website.

Got questions? Save time and ask us at Family Update on Facebook or tweet @FamilyUpdateAU.

Read more:

Page last updated: 27 August 2017