Earning more in semester break? Make sure you report your extra income

You can report your income online or through the Express Plus Centrelink app.

We all like to earn extra money to see the latest movie or catch up for dinner with a friend. Semester break is the perfect time to pick up some more shifts at work to get those dollars!

If you do work extra hours, make sure you report the right amount. If you don’t, it may affect your payment. You may need to pay back money we’ve paid you.

You can report your income using either:

You usually need to report your income every 14 days. We’ll tell you when your reporting period starts and ends.

If you don’t have a reporting period, you still need to tell us about any changes in income.

If you do earn more over semester break, you may also be able to keep more of your payment. This is thanks to the Income Bank.

Income bank allows you to earn credits where your income is less than $437 a fortnight. You can use these credits to offset income you get above that amount in the fortnights where you earn more. For example, over semester break.

You don’t need to do anything to use Income Bank. It shows up in your Centrelink online account and your balance will change as you report your income.

Next steps

Find out more about:

Ask us questions about student payments on our Student Update  Facebook or  Twitter

Read more news for students and trainees.

Page last updated: 10 May 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.