Get more out of your Farm Household Allowance

15 March 2018

Talk to your Farm Household Case Officer to see how we can help you and your family improve your financial position.

Farm Household Allowance gives you financial help for 1,095 days. But we understand that sometimes you need more than just financial help to get back on your feet.

Your Farm Household Case Officer is here to give you ongoing support. Your Farm Household Case Officer will work with you to develop and manage your financial improvement agreement. They will support you to achieve your goals. This includes an Activity Supplement worth up to $4,000.

The supplement helps pay for advice and training related to your farm business. These should help you reach financial independence. If your goal is to find work away from the farm you can use the supplement to pay for study or training.

You can get free financial counselling from the Rural Financial Counselling Service. They also give free succession planning advice. If you don’t have a counsellor, tell your Farm Household Case Officer and they can refer you to one.

James from Mildura has been getting Farm Household Allowance for about 2 years. He runs a large farm with merino sheep. With the drought he wasn’t sure if he should continue farming merinos or change to dorpers. James used the activity supplement to get costs and income forecasting for 5 years. This was to see which sheep he should farm. The forecasting showed it was better for him to farm merinos than dorpers.

“Getting income forecasting helped me plan my future and feel confident about my decision,” said James. 

Next Steps

Talk to your Farm Household Case Officer, Rural Financial Counsellor, financial advisor or accountant.

Read more about Farm Household Allowance.

Call the Farmer Assistance Hotline on 13 23 16.

Read about the Rural and Financial Counselling Service on the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website or call them on 1800 686 175.

Page last updated: 4 April 2018