Get your move on with Fares Allowance

6 June 2018

Fares Allowance can help with travel costs if you study away from your home.

With semester one out of the way it’s time for the break.

You can use Fares Allowance for the cost of travelling between your permanent home and your place of study.

You may get Fares Allowance if:

It covers the cost of travel within Australia using the least expensive, most reasonable transport. This is usually public transport.

Depending on your payment and how long you're studying, this may include:

  • 1 trip per year to your place of study from your permanent home to start studying
  • 1 return trip per year between your place of study and permanent home, and
  • 1 trip per year to your permanent home after finishing or ending your study

If you’re eligible we can pre-book your travel for you. You can claim the allowance before or after your trip.

Tips for claiming Fares Allowance

  1. Request pre-booked travel at least 7 days before your travel. That way you’ll have a better chance of getting the dates and times you want.
  2. Keep a copy of your itinerary and receipts. If you claim the allowance after your journey, you’ll need to give us proof of your travel.
  3. Remember you have until 31 March in the year after you study to claim a reimbursement.

If you get ABSTUDY it doesn’t mean you miss out. Read more about ABSTUDY Fares Allowance if you need to study away from home.

Next steps

Find out more about Fares Allowance, including how to claim a reimbursement and pre-book travel.

Connect with us on Student Update on Facebook or tweet @StudentUpdateAU.

Read more news for students and trainees. Subscribe and we’ll send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 6 June 2018