Have you confirmed your family income for the 2017-18 financial year?

29 August 2019

We’ve started sending Family Tax Benefit (FTB) account payable notices to people who haven’t.

You need to confirm your family income each year if you get FTB. If you don’t, we’ll send you an account payable notice. The notice will ask you to pay back all the FTB you got for the 2017-18 financial year.

You need to confirm your family income even if you only got FTB for part of the 2017-18 financial year. If you have a partner, we need their income information as well.

If you haven’t confirmed your income yet, you still have time.

How to confirm your income

Confirm your income now, if you haven’t already. You can do this by lodging a tax return. If you don’t need to lodge, you can tell us and confirm your income online.

To check if you need to lodge a return, use the Do I need to lodge a tax return? tool. It’s available on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website. If you have a partner, they should check too. Once you’ve lodged your tax return, the ATO will send us your income information.

If you don’t need to lodge a tax return, let us know. You can do this, and confirm your income using either your:

What happens if you don’t

It’s important you take action. If you don’t confirm your family income, you’ll need to pay back the FTB you got. If you don’t pay it back or confirm your family income, we may stop your fortnightly FTB payments. We can’t pay your FTB fortnightly payments again unless you either:

  • lodge a tax return or tell us you don’t need to lodge one
  • pay back the amount in full.

If you can’t pay back the amount by the due date, call us. We can talk with you about your payment options.

Next steps

Read more about FTB Account Payable notices.

Read more about lodging your tax return on the ATO website.

For help to tell us you don’t need to lodge a tax return and confirm income online use either the:

Read more news for families.

Page last updated: 30 August 2019