If you’re moving away to study, you may get Fares Allowance

Fares Allowance is a payment that can help with the costs of travel if you study away from your home.

You may get Fares Allowance if you meet all the following:

You can use Fares Allowance for the cost of travelling between your permanent home and your place of study. It covers the cost of travel within Australia using the least expensive, most reasonable transport. This is usually public transport.

Depending on your payment and how long you're studying, this may include any of the following:

  • 1 trip per year to your place of study from your permanent home to start studying
  • 1 return trip per year between your place of study and permanent home
  • 1 trip per year to your permanent home after finishing or ending your study.

If you’re eligible we can pre-book your travel for you. You can claim the allowance before or after your trip.

The following tips can help you when you claim Fares Allowance.

Tip Outcome
Request pre-booked travel at least 7 days before your travel. You’ll have a better chance of getting the dates and times you want.
Keep a copy of your itinerary and receipts. If you claim the allowance after your journey, you’ll need to give us proof of your travel. Have that paperwork ready to go.
Remember to claim by 31 March the following year. You have until 31 March in the year after you study to claim a reimbursement. If you claim after 31 March we can’t reimburse you.

If you get ABSTUDY, read more about ABSTUDY Fares Allowance if you need to study away from home.

Next steps

Find out more about Fares Allowance, including how to claim a reimbursement and pre-book travel.

Connect with us at Student Update on  Facebook or  Twitter.

Read more news for students and trainees. Subscribe and we’ll send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 19 February 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.