Live in rural or remote Australia and need to call us?

10 August 2017

We have Rural Call Centre staff ready to talk to you.

We know that people living in rural and remote Australia face the challenges of living in an isolated area. To help you we have the Rural Call Centre phone service.

When you call us, you’ll talk to experienced staff who are familiar with the issues affecting rural families and farming businesses.

They’ll help answer your questions and can locate services for you. Our staff are rural based and may even be from your own local area.

Next steps

To talk to someone at the Rural Call Centre, phone the Farmer Assistance hotline on 132 316. To read more go to Rural Call Centres.

Page last updated: 31 August 2017