Lodge your 2016-17 tax return so we can balance your payments

9 June 2017

We need to confirm your income before we can balance your family assistance payments.

We balance your family assistance payments each financial year to make sure you receive the right amount.

If you need to lodge a tax return, you don’t need to tell us. We’ll be sent the details we need straight from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). We’ll let you know once we balance your payments.

You can check if you need to lodge a tax return by using the do I need to lodge a tax return tool on the ATO website.

If you don’t need to lodge a tax return, you need to let us know. The easiest way to tell us is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov, or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

It can take up to 28 days to receive your Notice of Assessment from the ATO. This is when your payments will be balanced. We’ll also send you a letter to confirm your payments have been balanced.

There’s some other important information to keep in mind:

  • we can’t balance your payments until you’ve received your last Family Tax Benefit (FTB) payment for the financial year
  • if you have a partner, they’ll also need to lodge their tax return, or let us know they don’t need to lodge one, and
  • you don’t need to declare FTB or child care payments as income

We know it can be confusing to work out what you need to do. If you’re not sure, use our Tax Time Checker or have a look at the common scenarios families face at tax time.

This can help you find out what you need to do and when you need to do it for your payments to be balanced.

Next steps

Read more:

Got questions? Save some time and ask us at Family Update on Facebook or tweet  @FamilyUpdateAU.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017