Lump sum claiming for 2016-17 is now open

13 July 2017

You have until 30 June 2018 to submit your claim for family assistance.

Some people are paid their family assistance payments throughout the year. Others prefer to receive their payments as a lump sum.

If you didn’t receive Family Tax Benefit or Child Care Benefit in the 2016‑17 financial year, you can submit a lump sum claim.

You have until 30 June 2018 to submit a claim online and confirm your income by:

  • lodging a tax return with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), or
  • telling us you don’t need to lodge a tax return

If you have a partner, we’ll need to know about their income too. They’ll either need to lodge their tax return, or you can tell us they don’t need to lodge, and confirm their income as part of your claim. 

Once we have your required information we will assess your payments as quickly as possible. We’ll also check if you’re eligible for any top-ups or supplements.

You don’t need to declare FTB or child care payments as income.

It’s best to claim as soon as possible. The sooner you claim, the sooner you’ll receive the payments you’re eligible for.

There’s no need to call. We’ll send you a letter once your claim has been assessed.

Next steps

Submit a lump sum claim online using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Find out if you need to lodge a tax return by using the do I need to lodge a tax return tool on the ATO website.

Got questions? Save time and ask us at Family Update on Facebook or tweet @FamilyUpdateAU.

Read more:

Page last updated: 27 August 2017