Picked up some extra work shifts? Report your income online

4 December 2019

During the festive season, you need to let us know how much money you earn. This way we can pay you the right amount.

Now that uni is over for the year, your job might be getting a lot busier. If you get a student payment from us, you need to tell us about changes to your income. This includes if you’re working during the holidays.

You need to let us know about any change in income, including during the holidays.

What to report

We need to know:

  • your standard gross hourly pay rate
  • other gross pay rates like overtime or penalty hours
  • the total hours you worked at each pay rate.

We need to know this so we can pay you the right amount.

Don’t forget to keep proof of your income, such as payslips. We may ask you to show proof of your income.

When to report

You’ll need to report your income about every 14 days. We’ll tell you when your reporting period starts and ends.

If you report late, your payment could be late. If you don’t report how much you earned, we won’t pay you.

How to report

You can quickly report your income or changes to your financial position online using either:

You must tell us if you report the wrong amounts of income or any changes in your circumstances. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you may owe us money that you’ll have to pay back.

Next steps

Learn more about income reporting.

You can save time by asking questions at Student Update on  Facebook or  Twitter. Remember, you shouldn’t share your personal details when you contact us in a public space like social media.

Read more news for students and trainees. Don’t forget to subscribe so we can send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 4 December 2019