Avoid delays by getting your application right.
If you’re not eligible for Medicare, you may be exempt from paying the Medicare levy.
You can apply for a Medicare levy exemption through your tax return with the ATO. You’ll need a MES from us before you can do this.
Check your eligibility for Medicare before applying for a MES. You can only get one if you weren’t eligible for Medicare for all or part of the financial year. Even if you don’t have a Medicare card, you may have been eligible. If you were eligible for the whole year, you won’t get a MES from us.
The only way to get a MES is by completing the right form. You can complete the form or your tax agent can complete it on your behalf. But you must sign it.
To avoid delays when lodging a MES application:
- use the current Application for a Medicare Entitlement Statement form, we won’t accept old forms
- make sure you’ve completed the form and signed it
- send certified copies of supporting documents with the form
If you lodge your application through email:
- make sure all supporting documents are in PDF file and not password protected
- you can include applications for different financial years in the same email
Read more about:
Find out more about the Medicare levy exemption on the Australian Taxation Office website.
Read more news for your health.