Tell us about changes to your studies

1 August 2018

Semester 2 census date is fast approaching! Here’s what you need to do if your study situation has changed.

Changes to your study can affect your student payment. Here are 4 changes you need to tell us about.

1. You’ve dropped a subject or 2

If you’ve dropped a subject you may need to let us know.

To get Youth Allowance as a student or Austudy, you generally need to be studying full time. Full time means you’re studying at least 75% of the equivalent full time study load (EFTSL).

Your place of study can tell you what your EFTSL is. If you’ve got an online student portal, your enrolment info may be there.

If you’ve reduced your study load and are no longer considered full time, you need to update your study details.

To find out more about full time study, go to Study loads for Austudy and Youth Allowance.

2. You’ve stopped studying completely

If you stop studying, it affects your eligibility. You need to tell us as soon as you’ve stopped to avoid getting a debt.

You must be studying, or doing an Australian Apprenticeship to get:

3. You’ve changed courses

If you’ve changed courses you need to let us know. You still need to let us know, even if your other study details, like your uni, are the same. We consider a change in course like a new course for your Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY payment.

Changes to your course can affect how long you can get a student payment from us. We refer to this as your allowable time for Austudy and Youth Allowance.

4. You’ve changed where you study

Make sure you update your details if you’ve changed your place of study.

You’ll need to do this, even if your course has the same name. We need to know the educational institution you’re studying with.

A change in circumstances

Don’t forget, if there’s a change in your circumstances you must let us know within 14 days. For example, you need to tell us if you start work or move. If you don’t tell us, it may affect your payment. You may end up owing money to us that you’ll need to pay back.

Changes to your study may also affect eligibility for the Student Start-up Loan.

Next steps

Find out how to update your study details using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

You can also find out how to cancel your payment online.

Connect with us on social media.

Read more news for Students and trainees.

Page last updated: 3 August 2018