Tell us online if you start or stop working

23 August 2017

Instead of having to call or visit us, you can use our online services to tell us if you start or stop working.

Getting Austudy or Youth Allowance as a student? Use your Centrelink online account to tell us when you start a job.

Click “update employment status” in your online account to get started.

Once you tell us, we’ll automatically set you up for reporting your earnings in your Centrelink online account every two weeks.

If you report no income in a fortnight, we’ll prompt you to tell us online if you’ve stopped working. If so, you won’t need to keep reporting.

You’ll need to make sure you tell us online if you start working again, so you can resume fortnightly reporting. This will help you make sure your details are up to date and you don’t get a debt.

Next steps

Update your details in your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Connect with us on social media to ask questions:

Subscribe and we’ll send you regular news highlights on news for students and trainees.

Page last updated: 31 August 2017