Tips for your third and final year of Farm Household Allowance

16 April 2018

There are things you can do to make your transition off Farm Household Allowance as smooth as possible.

You can get Farm Household Allowance for a maximum of 1,095 days or 3 years. When you enter your third year, talk to your Farm Household Case Officer about options for support as you prepare to exit the program.

They will discuss your situation with you and explain the support services available. They can also help you claim up to $4,000 to pay for activities in your Financial Improvement Agreement. This includes the additional $1,000 in your third year. You need to start the activity before you finish on FHA.

The Activity Supplement pays for activities aimed to help you improve your financial circumstances. You can use it to pay for study, training or professional advice or training related to improving your farm. But if your goal is to find work off the farm you can use the money to do some training in a different field.

Your case officer will support you as you work towards your overall financial improvement goal.

You can get free financial counselling from the Rural Financial Counselling Service. They also give free succession planning advice. If you don’t have a counsellor, tell your Farm Household Case Officer and they can refer you to one.

You can use our Payment and Service Finder to see if you’re eligible for our other payments and services. Most income support payments and concession cards use an income and assets test. If your income or assets are high, you may not get the payment.

If your assets are high but your income is low, you may get the Low Income Health Care Card. It has an income test, but doesn’t have an assets test.

Next steps

Talk to your Farm Household Case Officer, Rural Financial Counsellor, financial advisor or accountant.

Read more about Farm Household Allowance.

Call the Farmer Assistance Hotline on 13 23 16.

Read about the Rural and Financial Counselling Service on the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website or call them on 1800 686 175.

Page last updated: 30 April 2018