Top 3 changes that affect your Child Care Subsidy

If your family’s circumstances change and you get Child Care Subsidy, let us know. Otherwise, we may overpay you.

If you don’t tell us and we pay you too much, you’ll need to pay us back. You need to tell us about changes to your circumstances within 14 days.

You might not always think that a change affects the amount of subsidy you get, but some can. That’s why we’ve pulled together the top 3 changes you need to tell us about.

Income changes

Your family income estimate plays an important role in getting your payments right.

We use your family’s income estimate to pay Child Care Subsidy to your service. At the end of the financial year, we’ll use your actual income to work out your Child Care Subsidy entitlement.

As soon as you know there may be a change in your family’s income, update it as soon as possible.

It only takes a few minutes to do and you can do it yourself. You can update your estimate at any time using your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

Activity level changes

Your activity details also play an important role in getting your payments right.

We look at your and your partner’s activity levels to work out your hours of subsidised care each fortnight.

It also only takes a few minutes to update these and you can do it online as well. Use your Centrelink online account through myGov or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

Relationship changes

If your relationship status changes, you need to let us know.

This is particularly important if it changes your family’s income. If it does, you should review your family income estimate and make sure it’s accurate and up to date.

You can let us know about changes to your relationship status by calling the Families line.

Other changes

Other changes may also impact your subsidy. You also need to tell us if any of the following things happen:

  • your child begins primary or secondary school for the first time
  • your care arrangements change
  • your personal circumstances change
  • you change your address
  • you leave Australia.

More information

Read more about:

Ask us your questions on our  Family Update Facebook page or  tweet Family Update.

Read more news for Families. Subscribe and we’ll send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 11 February 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.