Verify your relationship status

17 September 2018

From 20 September 2018, you need to verify your relationship status if you’re a single parent claiming income support.

You’ll need to do this if you’re a single parent with dependent children claiming:

  • Parenting Payment, or
  • Newstart Allowance

When you claim, you’ll need an independent person to verify you’re single. We call this person a referee. Your referee will need to complete a form with questions about your relationship status.

You’ll need to return the form to us before you can submit your claim. You can return the form online or by post. 

Keep in mind, this also applies if you’re getting a payment and your circumstances change.

This means if you’re already getting:

  • Newstart and you change to the single with dependent children payment rate, or
  • Parenting Payment Partnered and you separate then claim Parenting Payment Single

Next steps 

You can read more about:

You can also read more news for job seekers.

If you have a question, you can ask it on our Human Services Facebook page or tweet @HumanServicesAU.

Page last updated: 28 September 2018