It’s important to know your medicines, no matter what type you or your family take.
Be Medicinewise Week runs from 20 to 26 August 2018. This week is a good opportunity to think about how you can be medicine wise.
If you don’t use medicines correctly, the results can be serious. Each year more than 230,000 Australians are hospitalised with problems caused by not using their medicine correctly.
Here are 5 ways to help keep your family medicine wise.
- Ask your health professional questions
- Know what medicines you’re taking – this includes herbal remedies and vitamins
- Know the active ingredients
- Always follow instructions
- Keep track of all your medicines
You can also be wise about how you buy your medicine. The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and the PBS Safety Net can reduce the cost of medicine. If we’ve issued you with a concession card, you’ll pay even less when you show your card.