We need to know about changes to your living situation

9 February 2018

If you get Rent Assistance there are a few things you can do to make sure we pay you the right amount.

It’s important you tell us about changes to your situation. This helps avoid being paid too much and ending up with a debt you’ll need to pay back.

Some changes you need to tell us about, include if:

  • your rent or board changes
  • you move house
  • people move in or out of the house you live in

We also do regular reviews of people’s details to make sure they are correct. If you get a letter about reviewing your Rent Assistance, you need to confirm or update your rent details by the date advised in your letter. If you miss this deadline your Rent Assistance will stop.

It’s easy to tell us about changes using your Centrelink online account through myGov. If you don’t have a myGov or Centrelink online account, you can create one today.

You can also tell us by:

  • calling phone self service
  • calling the phone number in your letter

If you update your living arrangement details we may send you a Rent Certificate form. The form will include the details you’ve reported to us. It’s easy to submit your completed form using your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can also send the form to us or drop it in to your local service centre.

Next steps

View the Submitting documents using your Centrelink online account guide.

Read more multicultural news.

Page last updated: 12 February 2018