We support young people with disability

24 October 2018

We provide extra income and support services to help with the transition to adult life.


You may be able to get the Disability Support Pension if you’re 16 or older, and have a disability.

To get it, you must have a permanent disability or medical condition that stops you from working.

You’ll get Youth Disability Supplement if you’re under 21 and getting Disability Support Pension.

You can also get Youth Disability Supplement if you’re under 22 and getting either:

  • Youth Allowance as a job seeker, full time student or Australian Apprentice
  • ABSTUDY as a full time student or Australian Apprentice.

You won’t need to pay tax on the supplement. There’s also no income and assets test.


Disability Employment Services can help you find and keep a job. They can help you prepare for work and put together a resume.

We also have tips and tools to help you manage your money.

Next steps 

You can read more about who can get the:

Find out what to do if your circumstances change.

To learn more about our payments and services:

Page last updated: 24 October 2018