You can choose to stay on Disability Support Pension or transfer to Age Pension when you reach age pension age.
If you get Disability Support Pension, we’ll contact you just before you reach age pension age.
You’ll need tell us if you want to transfer to Age Pension or stay on Disability Support Pension.
Whether you transfer to Age Pension or stay on Disability Support Pension, it won’t change your:
- rate of payment
- concession card, or
- access to the Work Bonus
It also won’t change the income and assets tests or taxation obligations.
Age Pension is usually the best payment if you’re age pension age. If you transfer to Age Pension, there are some advantages. There are no:
- medical eligibility rules, or
- medical reviews
The rules may also be better if you:
- want to travel outside Australia
- are eligible for a land exemption from the assets test
If you stay on Disability Support Pension, you may:
- get the Pensioner Education Supplement and Education Entry Payment if you study
- continue to get the Incentive Allowance, and
- keep the higher rate of Mobility Allowance
Everyone’s circumstances are different. Please check which payment is best for you and your circumstances.
Read more about:
To learn more about our payments and services:
- see what payments for people living with an illness, injury or disability you may get
- use our Payment and Service Finder to find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for
Read more news for people with disability. Subscribe and we’ll send you regular news highlights.