Which courses have the tick of approval?

1 January 2018

The course and the provider you choose to study with can impact whether you’ll get a student payment.

You’ve chosen your career path. You know the job you want. And you know hard work will pay off. Now you have to pick a course to help put this plan in place.

To get a payment from us while you study you need to choose an approved course through an approved provider.

If you’re claiming a student payment for next year, be aware there’ll be changes. Some courses currently approved won’t be from 1 January 2018.

What’s changing

  1. For a Vocational Education Training (VET) course at diploma level or above to be approved for a student payment it must be a VET Student Loan (VSL) approved course and be done with a provider qualified for VSL.
  2. For a higher education course to be approved for a student payment it must be a course offered by an approved Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) provider.

You won’t need to take out a VSL or HELP to get a payment from us. Your course and provider just need to align with it.

You can find the list of current approved VSL courses on the Federal Register of Legislation and a list of VSL approved providers on the Department of Education and Training website. The list of approved HELP providers is on the Study Assist website. But don’t forget, these may change on 1 January 2018.

When you make a claim for a student payment we’ll send you a letter to confirm your eligibility. We'll send you another letter if the course you've picked is no longer approved on 1 January 2018.If this is the case, you'll need to change your course and pick an approved course to be eligible for a student payment.

What’s not changing

  1. There’s no change to secondary courses or VET courses below diploma level. This includes Certificate I to IV.
  2. There’s no change for Australian Apprentices.
  3. There’s no change to ABSTUDY Lawful Custody Award, or ABSTUDY Indigenous Special Courses.
  4. If you’re a current student you'll keep getting a payment for the course you're currently studying. Even if it's not an approved course from 1 January 2018. As long as there’s no break in your payment or you don't stop studying the course.

Keep up to date

Subscribe to get the latest News for students and trainees. Delivered directly to your inbox, we make sure you have access to information that may affect you.

Page last updated: 31 January 2018