New claims for Widow Allowance will be closed from 1 July 2018. Other payments are available.
Some of our payments are changing between now and 2022. This is to create a simpler system.
After 1 July 2018, people who would’ve claimed Widow Allowance can claim:
- Newstart Allowance if you’re under age pension age
- Age Pension, or
- Special Benefit if you’re over age pension age but don’t meet residence rules for Age Pension
If you get Newstart Allowance after 1 July 2018, and you would’ve qualified for Widow Allowance, you won’t have to:
- apply for jobs
- enter into a job plan, or
- do training or study
Just before you reach age pension age, we’ll send you a letter inviting you to claim.
If we cancel your Widow Allowance after 1 July 2018 because you’re no longer eligible, you can’t claim Widow Allowance again.
To learn more about our payments and services:
- use our Payment and Service Finder to find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be able to get
- get information and tools to help you manage your money
- go to information in your language where you can read, listen to or watch videos with information in your language
- read news for Older Australians