You can cancel your payment online

4 July 2018

Cancelling your Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance payment online is fast and easy and helps you avoid a debt.

How to cancel your payment

To cancel your Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance as a job seeker payment, follow these steps:

  1. Sign in to your Centrelink online account through myGov.
  2. Go to your menu and select Payment details.
  3. Select Cancel my current payment.

If you need one of these payments in future, you'll have to submit a new claim.

You may not need to cancel your payment if you’ve found work. You may still qualify for income support due to your Working Credits balance. You need to keep reporting your details to access these credits.

What happens next

You don't need to contact us. We’ll send you a letter once we’ve cancelled your payment.

If you have a concession card, you won’t be able to use it after you cancel your payment.

Who can’t cancel their own payment

You won’t be able to cancel your own payment if:

  • you’re using Income Management
  • you have a nominee, or
  • you have a partner on a payment

You’ll need to speak to us.

More information

You can ask questions on our Human Services Facebook page or Twitter @HumanservicesAU

Read more individuals news. Subscribe and we’ll send you regular news highlights.

Page last updated: 4 July 2018