Centrelink online account help - Advise non-lodgement of tax return

Instructions on how to tell us you don’t need to lodge a tax return using your Centrelink online account.

We’ve updated your Centrelink online account homepage and menu. This means some steps in this guide may look different to what you see on your screen. New guides will be available shortly.
If you're unsure if you need to lodge a return, use the Do I need to lodge a tax return? tool on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

You need to tell us if you don’t need to lodge a tax return if you received Family Tax Benefit. This is so we can balance your payments and make sure we pay you the correct amount.

Read more about balancing your family assistance payments.

Step 1: get started

If you're not already in your Centrelink online account, sign into myGov and access your account. 

From the MENU on your homepage, select Family Assistance, followed by Advise Non-lodgement of Tax Return.

Step 2: select the financial year

Select the year you need to advise non-lodgement for.

Once you’ve selected the year, read the disclaimer. If you understand and agree with the disclaimer, select I accept the declaration and then Start Now.

Step 3: tell us you don’t need to lodge a tax return  

We’ll ask you if you’ve lodged or intend to lodge a tax return. To advise you don’t need to lodge a tax return select No.

We’ll ask why you’re not lodging a tax return. Select your answer from the drop down menu.

If you have a partner, you’ll need to give us their answers too.

Select Next to continue.

Step 4: give us your income details

We’ll ask you to update your income details for the selected financial year. You’ll need to confirm the actual income you received for that financial year.

It’s important to make sure the income details you give us are accurate. This is so you get paid the right amount when we balance your payments.

You don’t need to include Family Tax Benefit you received as part of your income details.

To make required updates, select update required. To update other items, select the pencil icons for each item you want to update.

A pop up box will appear. Make updates to confirm the income you received for the selected financial year, then select Save. You’ll need to do this for each item you need to update.

When you update an item, the update will appear on the Update income estimate details page. Once you’ve made all your updates, check your new income details.

If the income details are correct, select Next.

To make changes, select the pencil icons for each item you want to edit.

Step 5: confirm update

Select Expand to review your tax return and income estimate details.

If any of these details are incorrect, select Update to make changes. To stop your update, select Cancel. To go back to the previous page, select Back.

If all the details are correct, read the declaration. If you understand and accept the declaration, select I accept the declaration, then Submit.

Step 6: get your receipt

We’ll give you a receipt to let you know your non-lodgement update has been accepted. Please make a note of the Receipt ID for your records.

Select Return to home to go back to your online account homepage.

Step 7: sign out

From your homepage, you can complete other transactions or select the myGov icon to return to myGov.

For your privacy and security, sign out when you’ve finished using your myGov account.

View other online account guides and video demonstrations about using your online account.

Page last updated: 5 March 2019