Instructions on how to tell us of your overseas travel using your Centrelink online account.
If you’re leaving Australia to travel or live in another country, you need to tell us. Travelling outside Australia may affect your Centrelink payments.
Read more about payments while outside Australia.
Step 1: get started
If you're not already in your Centrelink online account, sign into myGov and access your account.
From your homepage, select MENU. Then select Personal Details, followed by Travelling outside of Australia.
Select Add new travel details.
Step 2: add new travel details
On this page, we'll ask you questions about your travel.
To start, select the calendar icon.
A pop out calendar will appear. Select the date you’re planning to leave Australia.
If you’re leaving in a later month, select the arrow icon to scroll through the months.
Once you’ve selected a date, the pop out calendar will disappear and the date will appear on the screen.
Next, tell us about your return to Australia. Choose the option that best explains your personal situation.
Your payment may change if either:
- you don’t know the date you’ll return
- you’re going to live in another country.
If you know the exact date of your return, select the calendar icon and then the date.
Tell us the country you’re travelling to. Select the drop down box and choose the country from the list. If you’re visiting multiple countries, select the one where you’ll spend the most time.
Tell us if you’re leaving Australia on a cruise ship. Select the:
- tick, to tell us you’re leaving on a cruise ship
- cross, to tell us you’re leaving another way.
You must tell us if your partner or children are travelling with you. Select Child, Partner and Care Receivers’ Travel Details.
- tick, to tell us your partner or child are travelling with you
- cross, to tell us your partner or child are not travelling with you.
You must tell us about the reason for your travel. Select Reason for travel.
A number of reasons will appear, select the one that best describes your situation.
Once you’ve answered all of these questions, select Next.
Step 3: review and submit
We’ll give you a summary of the travel details you’ve told us about. Read the details on this page and make sure they’re correct.
- Back, if you need to change any of your details
- Cancel, if you don’t want to continue or need to start again.
If all of the details are correct, read the declaration. If you understand and agree with the declaration, select I accept this declaration. Then select Submit.
Step 4: receipt
We’ll give you a receipt to let you know your update has been successful. Please make a note of the Receipt ID for your records.
In the Next Steps section, we’ll tell you if:
- you need to give us more information
- your travel affects your payments
- your travel affects your concession cards.
Select Information you provided to view a summary of the details you’ve given us.
Select Finish to go back to the Travelling outside of Australia page.
From the Travelling outside of Australia page you can select:
- Remove to delete the information you have given us
- Edit to change the information you have given us
- Home to return to your online account homepage.
Step 5: sign out
From your homepage you can complete other transactions or select the myGov icon to return to myGov.
For your privacy and security, sign out when you’ve finished using your myGov account.