Rural and remote Australians


Farm Household Allowance

A payment for farming families in financial hardship.

  • a farmer who spends a major part of your time and capital working on the farm,  or the partner of a farmer who does
  • is not over the income and assets test limits
  • meets mutual obligation requirements

Age Pension

The main income support payment for people who have reached age pension age.

  • reached age pension age
  • under the income and assets test limits
  • an Australian resident, normally for at least 10 years

Newstart Allowance

The main income support payment while you’re unemployed and looking for work.

  • at least 22 but under age pension age
  • looking for paid work
  • under the income and assets test limits
  • prepared to meet mutual obligation requirements

Carer Allowance

A fortnightly income supplement if you give daily care and attention to someone who has a disability, serious illness, or an adult who is frail and old.

You must give additional daily care at home to:

  • a child aged under 16 who has a disability or serious illness and lives with you
  • 2 or more children aged under 16 living with you whose care needs add up to the same as 1 eligible child, or
  • someone aged 16 or older who has a disability or serious illness or is frail aged

Youth Allowance

Financial help if you’re under 24 and studying, an Australian Apprentice, looking for work or sick.

  • 16 to 21 and looking for full time work or
  • 18 to 24 and studying full time or
  • 16 to 24 and a full time Australian Apprentice or
  • 16 to 17 years and independent or needing to live away from home to study


Financial help for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students or Australian Apprentices.

  • Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • in an approved course, Australian Apprenticeship or traineeship
  • not getting another payment to do study or train