Aged care means tests


To be able to get help paying for aged care you need an assessment from an Aged Care Assessment Team and an aged care means test from us.

ACAT test

This is where a team of aged care experts:

  • works out your needs
  • advises on the best kind of aged care for you
  • decides if your choice of aged care is suitable

Find your nearest ACAT team on the My Aged Care website.

Means test

This is where we check your income and assets to work out how much of your aged care fees the government can pay.

You can choose not to have a means test. But if you don’t have one you won’t be able to get help with aged care fees.

You can apply for a means test at any time. You don’t have to wait till you’ve had an ACAT test.

If you get pension from the Department of Veterans' Affairs, they will complete your means test assessment.

Page last updated: 5 December 2018