While travelling outside Australia

To get your payment while outside Australia you must continue to meet the qualification rules for ABSTUDY.

You must continue to meet the ABSTUDY qualification rules and be travelling for an approved reason to get your payment while overseas.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you are a secondary school student and are studying an approved course outside Australia, you may be paid for:

  • up to 12 months
  • the duration of the study if you are doing an approved international educational exchange program, or
  • the duration of your parent’s posting if your parent is employed by the Commonwealth of Australia and has been posted overseas

If you are a secondary non-school, tertiary, master’s or doctorate student, or Australian Apprentice and are doing approved study or work outside Australia, you can be paid for the duration of the approved activity.

Advising us of travel outside Australia

You should tell us if you are leaving Australia and you are:

  • travelling on a cruise ship
  • studying or working outside Australia as a full time student or apprentice
  • travelling for an acute family crisis or medical treatment that is not available in Australia, or
  • attending a training camp with Australian Defence Force Reserves

Otherwise you do not need to tell us if you are leaving Australia. We will be advised automatically by Australia’s immigration department when you leave Australia and when you return.

Documentation required

If you are a student studying outside Australia, you need to give us a written statement from your Australian institution on their official letterhead confirming:

  • that you will remain enrolled with your Australian educational institution
  • your study load while overseas
  • the duration of your overseas study, and
  • that your overseas study will count towards your Australian course

If you are an Australian Apprentice working or training outside Australia, you need to give us a written statement from your employer or State Training Provider on their official letterhead confirming the work or activity counts towards your Australian Apprenticeship.

If you are travelling outside Australia for an acute family crisis or medical treatment, or to attend a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves, you may need to give us proof of your situation.

You must provide us with your supporting documentation before you leave Australia to prevent your payment from being stopped.

If your payment has been stopped, we will reassess your payment once the supporting documents have been received. If you are travelling for an approved reason, your payments will be restored and any missing payments will be paid to you.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 13 September 2019