Complete the following steps to claim Age Pension. Before you start, check if you can get it.
You can submit your claim in the 13 weeks before you reach age pension age. Read more about when to claim.
Steps to claim Age Pension
2. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online:
If you have a partner who is eligible, they'll need to submit their own online claim. Or, you can both claim on the same paper claim form.
- print and complete the Claim for Age Pension and Pension Bonus form and the Income and Assets form, or
- call us on the Older Australians line, or
- go to a service centre
If you live outside Australia read how you can claim through an international social security agreement.
3. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
4. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Make a claim, then Start a new claim.
- Under Seniors, select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes submitting your supporting documents and any other forms you need to complete.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
5. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim was submitted
- the ID number of your claim
- an estimated completion date
- a link to track its progress
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to your:
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
In this section
When to claim
You can submit your claim to get Age Pension in the 13 weeks before you reach age pension age.
Setting up online accounts
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
Confirm your identity
You may need to confirm your identity when you claim a payment or service.
When you claim, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim for a payment or service.
Other forms you may need to complete
When you make your claim for Age Pension, we may ask you to give us more information.
Transfer to Age Pension
If you are age pension age and get an eligible income support payment, you can apply to transfer to Age Pension.
Reviews and appeals
If you disagree with a decision we've made, you have the right to ask us to review our decision.