How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim Age Pension. Before you start, check if you can get it.
You can submit your claim in the 13 weeks before you reach Age Pension age. Read more about when to claim.
Steps to claim Age Pension
1. Prepare to claim
There are several factors to consider when you’re preparing to claim Age Pension. To make this easier for you, we’ve put together information about how to prepare to claim.
The easiest way to claim is online. If you have a correspondence nominee, they can complete all or part of the online claim for you.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online either:
If you have a partner who is eligible, they'll need to submit their own online claim. Or, you can both claim on the same paper claim form.
- print and complete the Claim for Age Pension and Pension Bonus form and the Income and Assets form
- call us on the Older Australians line
- go to a service centre.
If you live outside Australia read how you can claim through an international social security agreement.
3. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
4. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Seniors, select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes submitting your supporting documents and any other forms you need to complete.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
5. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim was submitted
- the ID number of your claim
- the date we estimate your claim will be complete
- a link to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
You can submit your claim to get Age Pension in the 13 weeks before you reach Age Pension age.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
Confirm your identity when you claim a payment or service.
When claiming Age Pension, you’ll need to give us some supporting documents. If you don’t give them to us, we can’t assess your claim.
When you make your claim for Age Pension, we may ask you to give us more information.
If you’re Age Pension age and get an eligible payment, you can apply to transfer to Age Pension.
If you disagree with a decision we've made, you have the right to ask us to review our decision.
Page last updated: 9 August 2019