Age Pension

The main income support payment for people who have reached age pension age.

Eligibility basics

  • reached age pension age
  • under the income and assets test limits
  • an Australian resident, normally for at least 10 years
The new Social Security Agreement between Australia and Estonia begins on 1 January. Read more about the new International Social Security Agreement with Estonia.

Eligibility & payment rates

Age rules

To be eligible for Age Pension you must be 65 or older.

Read more about age rules

Residence rules

On the day you claim Age Pension you must be an Australian resident and be in Australia.

Read more about residence rules

Income test for pensions

Your income can reduce your pension.

Read more about income tests for pensions

Assets test

The value of the assets you own affects if you can get Age Pension, and how much you can get.

Read more about the assets test

Payment rates

We use income and assets tests to work out how much Age Pension you get.

Read more about payment rates


Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim.


  • find out what you need to start your claim
  • complete the claim online or visit a Service Centre, if you can’t do this you will need to complete a paper claim form and an income and assets form
  • submit the form and other documents we ask for
  • wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result

Next read more about claiming

Managing your payment

Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce your Age Pension payment.

Read more about change of circumstances

Advance payment

You may get part of your income support early. This is an advance payment. You pay it back later out of your payments from us.

Read more about advance payment

If you travel outside Australia

You can normally get Age Pension while outside Australia. We base the amount we can pay you on how long you’re away for.

Read more about Age Pension if you travel outside Australia

Income and assets from outside Australia

If you or your partner get income from, or have assets outside Australia, we may have to reduce the amount of Age Pension you get.

Read more about income and assets from outside Australia

Someone to deal with us on your behalf

If you want someone else to deal with us, you can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.

Read more about someone to deal with us on your behalf

Weekly payment option

Some people can get income support payments each week instead of each fortnight.

Read more about weekly payments

Income reporting

How much you or your partner earn affects your payment. We need to know what you and your partner earn so we pay you the right amount.

Read more about income reporting for your main income support payment

My bank account is overdrawn

You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.

Read more about what to do if your account is overdrawn


Social security agreements with other countries

If you lived in another country and are able to get a pension from them, you need to tell us.

Read more about social security agreements

Payment and Service Finder

Select the options that describe your circumstances, then explore a list of possible Centrelink and Medicare payments and services online.

Read more about Payment and Service Finder

Manage your money

We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read more Managing your money

Regular deductions using Centrepay

You can use our free and voluntary service to pay bills as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments.

Read more about regular deductions using Centrepay

Page last updated: 19 March 2018