Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme

Residence rules

On the day you claim Assistance for Isolated Children you and the child you're claiming for must live in Australia.

You must also:

  • be an Australian citizen
  • have a permanent resident visa, or
  • be a New Zealand citizen who permanently lives in Australia

What may be different

You do not need to be a living in Australia if the child is:

  • enrolled at school in Australia and is on an international student exchange
  • already getting Distance Education Allowance and is doing full time distance education while overseas for less than 12 months and their education institution approves

Page last updated: 12 May 2018