Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme

Other payments

If you get another payment from us, you may also get the Assistance for Isolated Children payment.

You get Assistance for Isolated Children if you also get:

You can't get Assistance for Isolated Children payments for a student who is on:

  • Youth Allowance
  • ABSTUDY, or
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Veterans’ Children Education Scheme payments

Some students turning 16 years of age may be eligible for assistance under the Away from Home rate of Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY instead of this scheme and Family Tax Benefit.

Families who get Assistance for Isolated Children and Family Tax Benefit generally get more from these payments compared to the Youth Allowance Away from Home rate and Rent Assistance.

Students at primary or ungraded level getting Disability Support Pension or Parenting Payment single may get Assistance for Isolated Children Pensioner Education Supplement.

Students studying at secondary or tertiary level should apply for:

  • Pensioner Education Supplement, or
  • ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement
Check if your state or territory government provides additional benefits for isolated students.
This information was printed Tuesday 21 May 2019 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.

Page last updated: 6 December 2018