A group of payments for parents and carers of children who can't go to a local state school because of geographical isolation, disability or special needs.
- you have a child who can’t go to school unless they live away from home, in a second home or study from home
- this is because they live in an isolated area with no local state schools or
- they have a disability or other special need that local state schools can’t meet
Eligibility & payment rates
The Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme includes 3 allowances and 1 supplement.
Your child’s living arrangements will determine which allowance or supplement you get.
Approved courses of study and institutions
The student must study full time in an approved course at an approved institution to get Assistance for Isolated Children.
The amount of Assistance for Isolated Children you get depends on the student's living arrangements during the school year and number of eligible children in your family.
Assistance for Isolated Children payments are made per term or fortnight depending on the payment type.
If you get another payment from us, you may also get the Assistance for Isolated Children payment.
Parental means test
Under the scheme, only Additional Boarding Allowance is income tested.
On the day you claim Assistance for Isolated Children you and the child you're claiming for must live in Australia.
Check if you're eligible before you start your claim.
- decide how to submit your claim
- complete your claim
- submit your claim by 31 December of the study year
- submit any supporting documents with your claim, or as soon as possible
- after we assess your claim we tell you the outcome
Managing your payment
Change of circumstances
If your circumstances change, this may affect your eligibility and payment of Assistance for Isolated Children.
While travelling outside Australia
There are rules about how long we can pay Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme payments outside Australia.
My bank account is overdrawn
You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.