What you need to know if you want to give someone an assurance of support for certain types of visas and agreeing to support them financially.
You need to know
An assurance of support is a legal agreement you make with us to help someone get a visa to live in Australia. It's your promise to pay us back for any income support we give them.
There are 2 types of assurance of support. Which one you need depends on the visa type.
To be eligible to become an assurer for an assurance of support you must meet certain criteria.
If you give a bank guarantee you should be ready to put money in the bank to cover it's value.
Assurance of support period
An assurance of support can last for 2 to 10 years. It depends on the type of visa.
To become an assurer:
- fill in an Application to Provide an Assurance of Support form
- get any documents the form says you need to give us
- take your form and documents to a service centre
- attend a phone interview where we discuss what an assurer needs to do and if you can meet these obligations
- we'll assess your claim and let you know the outcome
Payments from us
We may pay income support to the assuree during the assurance of support period if you can't support them, or they can't accept support from you.
Help in your language
Payment and Service Finder
Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently get from us.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.
Read about how to manage your money.