You can apply to give an assurance of support by completing and submitting a form.
Before you start
Check if you're eligible to give an assurance of support.
Information you need
Make sure you have a:
- letter from the Department of Home Affairs that says a visa applicant must have an assurance of support
- clear understanding of your role as an assurer, including that you may have to pay us back money
If you’ll be the only assurer or you’re giving a joint assurance, you need:
- documents that confirm your identity
- your Customer Reference Number (CRN) if you have one
- proof of your Australian residence status - for example a record of your Australian citizenship or permanent residency
- evidence of income for the previous financial year, for example Notice of Tax Assessments for 2016-17
In some instances, your evidence of income can be a letter from the Australian Taxation Office.
You also need evidence of ongoing income. This can be:
- 2 recent consecutive payslips
- a letter from your accountant
- a letter from your employer, or
- a profit and loss statement
If you’re an incorporated or unincorporated organisation, you need to give us all of the above. We also need:
- proof of identity documents for the person applying on behalf of the organisation
- proof the organisation has an address in Australia - this can be an active Australian Business Number
- evidence of recent trading history for the organisation - this can be a tax return or a letter from a registered accountant
- proof the authorised person can sign on behalf of the organisation
- evidence the incorporated organisation is on the Australian Business Register website
Complete your claim form
You need to complete a form to apply to be an assurer for an Assurance of Support. The form you need to complete depends on if you're applying under the Community Support Program or not.
If you are, you need to complete the Application to provide an Assurance of Support for Community Support Program form.
If you're not, complete the Application to provide an Assurance of Support form instead.
Don’t sign the declaration on the last page of the form until you submit it. You need to sign it in front of a service officer.
Submit your claim
Submit your form and supporting documents in person, at a service centre.
You’ll need to sign the declaration on the last page of the form in front of a service officer.
Wait for the results
We'll tell you if your application is successful.
You have the right to appeal our decision. Read more about reviews and appeals.