To be eligible to become an assurer for an assurance of support you must meet certain criteria.

To be an assurer you must:

  • pass the income test for the current and previous financial year
  • be an Australian resident
  • be 18 or older
  • give us proof of identity, and
  • be able to get a bank guarantee if we ask for one

An organisation can be an assurer too. To do this they must be:

  • a genuine incorporated or unincorporated organisation, and
  • able to support the assuree

They need to give us proof:

  • of registration
  • of recent steady trading history before the date they apply

The organisation must be genuine and not just recently set up in order to give an assurance of support.

To prove an organisation is genuine we need to see:

  • tax returns
  • letters from their accountant, or
  • a statement from the Australian Securities Investments Commission (ASIC)

Check if you’re eligible

You need to pass an income test to be eligible.

The income you need to pass this test depends on:

  • how many people are in your immediate family
  • if you’ll have 1 or 2 adult assurees
  • if you’ll be the only assurer or giving a joint assurance
  • how many dependent children you have

Use our Assurance of Support checker to work out if you are eligible to be an assurer. This will also let you know if you meet the financial requirements.

If you’re an organisation, the income test doesn’t apply to you. However, you may need to give us a bank guarantee.

If you’re still not sure if you’re eligible either:

Page last updated: 18 September 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.