Change of circumstances

You must tell us about any changes that could affect the amount of Austudy you’re getting.

What to tell us


Tell us if you:

  • stop studying
  • stop being a full time Australian Apprentice
  • don’t start your course within 3 weeks of the course start date
  • change your course
  • start studying at a different institution
  • reduce your study or training workload.


Tell us if you:

  • start work, change your work hours or stop work
  • change jobs
  • change your income or assets
  • get income from outside Australia
  • get compensation, leave or redundancy payments
  • start or stop getting other financial help to complete your course or apprenticeship.

If you’re reporting income to us for the first time, contact us. We’ll set up self service options to help you.


Tell us if:

  • you change your address or contact details
  • you’re sick or injured and can’t continue your study
  • you start or stop getting a pension, benefit or allowance
  • you move into or out of long term care, like a nursing home or hostel
  • you’re in lawful custody
  • you start living with your partner or get married
  • you separate from your partner
  • you have a child or take care of a child who’s 16 or younger
  • your dependent child who’s 16 or younger leaves home, or gets a pension, benefit or allowance
  • your dependent child is in custody on remand, in a psychiatric institution or in prison
  • your dependent child or immediate family member dies.

If you get Rent Assistance, you must also tell us if you:

  • stop paying rent, or the amount of rent you pay changes
  • start or stop sharing accommodation
  • start paying rent to a state, territory or Commonwealth Housing Authority
  • move in with your parent or guardian.


Tell us if your partner:

  • starts or stops working
  • has a change of income or assets
  • gets ABSTUDY, a pension, benefit or allowance
  • dies.

How and when to tell us

You need to let us know within 14 days.

Use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app or your Centrelink online account though myGov to tell us about changes.

What happens if you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes, we might pay you too much. If that happens you’ll need to pay the money back.

If you deliberately give us false or misleading information you’re committing fraud and we can charge you.

Read about how to avoid committing fraud.

Page last updated: 30 September 2019