While travelling outside Australia
There are rules about when your Austudy can be paid when you travel outside Australia.
Rules for Austudy outside Australia
If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.
If you leave Australia temporarily, you need to be travelling for an approved reason or your payment will stop on departure.
Approved reasons for payment overseas
Students and Australian Apprentices
You may be paid while studying or working outside Australia for the duration of your approved overseas course or work activity if you:
- are receiving Austudy as a student or Australian Apprentice
- have already commenced your approved course or work activity, and
- submitted your claim in Australia before you depart the country
If you are a student studying outside Australia, you need to give us a written statement on your Australian education institution’s letterhead confirming:
- your name, date of birth and Student ID number
- the name and course code for the enrolled course at your Australian education institution
- that you will remain enrolled with your Australian educational institution
- the study load you will be enrolled in with your Australian education institution while studying overseas
- the name of the overseas education institution
- the duration of your overseas study, including the start and end dates for your overseas study - overseas vacation periods following the completion of your overseas study should not be included, and
- that your overseas units of study will count towards your Australian course
If you are an Australian Apprentice working or training outside Australia, you need to give us a written statement on your employer or State Training Authority’s letterhead confirming:
- the work or activity counts toward your Australian Apprenticeship, and
- your Commonwealth Registration Number will remain current
If you do not provide a written statement or the evidence is insufficient, your payment will stop when you leave Australia.
If you leave Australia without having your overseas study or training approved, you may be eligible to be back paid. You need to contact us within 13 weeks of departing Australia and supply the evidence above.
If you are not eligible to receive Austudy prior to your departure from Australia, you may only become eligible to receive Austudy once you return to Australia. In some cases, you will be required to submit a new claim upon your return to Australia.
Additional approved reasons for payment overseas
You may be paid Austudy outside Australia for a negotiated period of up to 6 weeks for the following approved reasons:
- to attend an acute family crisis, for example, to visit a family member who is critically ill, or
- to receive eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia
If you are attending a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves you can get your payment for the duration of the training.
When to tell us about your travel
You should always tell us if you are leaving Australia.
Read more about payments while outside Australia.
Page last updated: 10 December 2018