While travelling outside Australia

There are rules about when your Austudy can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Rules for Austudy outside Australia

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia temporarily, you need to be travelling for an approved reason or your payment will stop on departure.

Approved reasons for payment overseas

Students and Australian Apprentices

You may be paid while studying or working outside Australia for the duration of your approved overseas course or work activity if you:

  • are receiving Austudy as a student or Australian Apprentice
  • have already commenced your approved course or work activity, and
  • submitted your claim in Australia before you depart the country

If you are a student studying outside Australia, you need to give us a written statement on your Australian education institution’s letterhead confirming:

  • your name, date of birth and Student ID number
  • the name and course code for the enrolled course at your Australian education institution
  • that you will remain enrolled with your Australian educational institution
  • the study load you will be enrolled in with your Australian education institution while studying overseas
  • the name of the overseas education institution
  • the duration of your overseas study, including the start and end dates for your overseas study - overseas vacation periods following the completion of your overseas study should not be included, and
  • that your overseas units of study will count towards your Australian course

If you are an Australian Apprentice working or training outside Australia, you need to give us a written statement on your employer or State Training Authority’s letterhead confirming:

  • the work or activity counts toward your Australian Apprenticeship, and
  • your Commonwealth Registration Number will remain current

If you do not provide a written statement or the evidence is insufficient, your payment will stop when you leave Australia.

If you leave Australia without having your overseas study or training approved, you may be eligible to be back paid. You need to contact us within 13 weeks of departing Australia and supply the evidence above.

If you are not eligible to receive Austudy prior to your departure from Australia, you may only become eligible to receive Austudy once you return to Australia. In some cases, you will be required to submit a new claim upon your return to Australia.

Additional approved reasons for payment overseas

You may be paid Austudy outside Australia for a negotiated period of up to 6 weeks for the following approved reasons:

  • to attend an acute family crisis, for example, to visit a family member who is critically ill, or
  • to receive eligible medical treatment that is not available in Australia

If you are attending a training camp with the Australian Defence Force Reserves you can get your payment for the duration of the training.

When to tell us about your travel

You should always tell us if you are leaving Australia.

The easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov. You can get tailored information on how your payments and concession cards could be affected. You may need to phone us to discuss your circumstances further.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 20 September 2019