Financial help if you're 25 or older and studying or an Australian Apprentice.

Eligibility basics

  • you're at least 25 years old, and
  • a full time student in an approved course, Australian Apprenticeship or traineeship, and
  • you're under the income and assets test limits

There are changes to approved courses that may impact your eligibility for a payment. Go to the Department of Social Services website for information.

If you get a letter saying you’re not eligible, there’s still time to change your study options to align with approved courses and institutions.

Eligibility & payment rates

Who can get it

You may be able to get Austudy if you're a student or Australian Apprentice.

Read more about who can get Austudy

Payment rates

The amount of Austudy you get depends on how much you earn and how much your assets are worth.

Read more about how much you can get

Income test

We use income and assets tests to see if you’re eligible for a payment and work out how much you’ll get.

Read more about the personal income test for Austudy or Youth Allowance

Assets test

We use the assets test to help us work out if you can get Austudy and how much you'll get.

Read more about the assets test

Residence rules

On the day you claim Austudy you must be an Australian resident and in Australia.

Read more about residence rules

Approved courses and institutions

You must study an approved course at an approved institution to get Youth Allowance as a student, Austudy, or Pensioner Education Supplement.

Read more about approved courses and institutions

Study loads

Most people need to study full time to get Austudy or Youth Allowance as a student. To work out if you’re full time you need to know your study load.

Read more about study loads

Allowable time

Allowable time is how long you can get Austudy while you’re studying.

Read more about allowable time

Low Income Health Care Card

If you're getting Austudy you may also get a Low Income health Care Card.

Read more about the Low Income Health Care Card

Distance and online education for tertiary and secondary students

If you study by distance education, you need to do an approved course with an approved institution.

Read more about distance and online education


Check if you’re eligible before you start your claim.


  • find out what you need to start your claim
  • register for an online account if you don’t already have one
  • fill in your claim
  • upload the documents we ask for and submit your claim
  • wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result


Managing your payment

Change of circumstances

You must tell us about any changes that could affect the amount of Austudy you’re getting.

Read more about updating your change of circumstances

Advance payment

You may get part of your income support early. This is an advance payment. You pay it back later out of your payments from us.

Read more about advance payment

While travelling outside Australia

There are rules about when your Austudy can be paid when you travel outside Australia.

Read more about Austudy while travelling outside Australia

Someone to deal with us on your behalf

If you want someone else to deal with us, you can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.

Read more about someone to deal with us on your behalf

Weekly payment option

Some people can get income support payments each week instead of each fortnight.

Read more about weekly payments

Income reporting

How much you or your partner earn affects your payment. We need to know what you and your partner earn so we pay you the right amount.

Read more about income reporting for your main income support payment

When you reach age pension age

If you’re getting Austudy and reach age pension age, you can transfer to Age Pension.

Read more about Austudy when you reach age pension age

My bank account is overdrawn

You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.

Read more about what to do if your account is overdrawn

Online review of study details

We may send a letter to your myGov inbox asking you to complete an online review of your study details.

Read more about online review of study details


Try self service

Do your Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support business using self service options, including our Express Plus mobile apps, online accounts and phone self service.

Read more about using self service.

Vocational Education and Training - VET Student Loans

Eligible Students can get a VET Student Loan to access higher level VET qualifications.

This could help you, if you couldn’t otherwise afford to pay for your course upfront.

Read more about VET Student Loans on the Department of Education and Training website.

If your course has stopped because of provider closures, you may be eligible for support from the tuition assurance scheme.

Read more about Provider Closures on the Department of Education and Training website.

Stay up to date

Stay up to date with youth and student payments.

Like us on Facebook.

Follow us on Twitter.

Subscribe to News for students and trainees.

Express Plus Centrelink mobile app

The Express Plus Centrelink mobile app lets you deal with Centrelink on the go through your mobile phone or tablet.

Read more about Express Plus mobile apps.

Get the app.

Payment and Service Finder

Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently receive from us.

Start using Payment and Service Finder

Manage your money


We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.

Read about how to manage your money

Regular deductions using Centrepay

You can use our free and voluntary service to pay bills as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments.

Read more about how Centrepay works

Page last updated: 7 February 2018