You need to meet eligibility requirements to get Bereavement Allowance.
You can get Bereavement Allowance if:
- your partner dies and you were:
- in a registered relationship - a relationship that’s registered under certain state and territory laws, or
- living together as a couple
- you haven't re-partnered
- you can't get a service or war widows pension from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- you meet income and assets tests
- you meet residency rules, and
- you claim within 4 weeks of your partner's death, or
- you claim within 14 weeks of your your partner's death to get payment from your claim date
When you can't get it
You can’t get Bereavement Allowance if you get another income support payment.
It may be better for you to transfer to Bereavement Allowance if you get another payment. Call the bereavement line to talk about your options.
In this section
How much you get
The amount of Bereavement Allowance you get and how long you get it depends on your situation.
Income and assets tests
Your income and assets determines how much Bereavement Allowance you can get.
On the day you claim Bereavement Allowance, you must be an Australian resident and in Australia.