On the day you claim Bereavement Allowance, you must be an Australian resident and in Australia.
On the day you claim Bereavement Allowance, you must:
- be an Australian resident, and
- in Australia
You also need to meet at least 1 of the following criteria:
- you and your partner were both Australian residents when your partner died
- you have been an Australian resident and in Australia for a period of, or periods totaling, 104 weeks or you are exempt from this requirement, for example, you are a refugee
- you were getting Wife Pension and you were not in Australia when your partner died, or
- you are female and were getting partner service pension from the Department of Veterans' Affairs and you were not in Australia when your partner died
What may be different
If you don’t meet these rules but you’ve lived or worked in a country that has a social security agreement with Australia, it may help you to claim.