How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim Bereavement Allowance. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim Bereavement Allowance
1. Get ready to claim
You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.
- call us on the Bereavement line to advise you would like to make a claim
- check if you are eligible for this payment
- read the information you need to know about your claim for Bereavement Allowance.
2. Get your documents ready
You may need to provide some other documents to support your claim including:
- proof of your Australian residence status
- an Income Stream Schedule from your provider for any income stream payments you may get
- proof that you were a member of a couple
- bank details.
You will also need to provide us with your income and assets information.
5. Wait for the results
We'll tell you:
- if your claim is successful
- when we'll start paying you
- how much you'll get.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
Confirm your identity when you claim a payment or service.
These are regular payments made from your superannuation fund, or purchased using either superannuation or other money.
If you’re a member of a couple, it can affect what payments you can get and your payment rate.
Page last updated: 31 May 2019