Carer Allowance


Check if you are eligible before you start your claim. The easiest way to claim Carer Allowance is online. When you claim, we will ask you for information to assess if you are eligible.


  • find out what you need to start claiming
  • start your claim
  • submit your claim with supporting documents
  • we will assess your claim and let you know the outcome

Before you start

You should:

Start your claim

You can claim Carer Payment, Carer Allowance or both online.

You don’t need to finish your online claim in 1 session. Your Centrelink online account saves your progress so you can come back to finish it later.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

Sign in with myGov

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment or service from us, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.

If you don’t know your CRN or you haven't got a payment from us, go to a service centre with photo ID. Tell us you want to register for an online account.

You can then create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

Unable to claim online

If you can’t claim online:

Submit your claim with supporting documents

You need to give us:

  • your claim
  • any other documents we ask you for

We may ask you for extra documents to help us assess your claim. Provide this to us within 14 days of starting the claim. If you submit supporting documents after 14 days, your payment may start later. You can submit your documents online.

If you’re using a paper form, submit your claim form and supporting documents by post or to a service centre. We may ask for more information if we need it.

Sometimes we use documents you have already given us, such as medical reports.

Proof of identity

Unless we already have proof of who you are, you will need to visit a service centre and show your identity documents.

You can only prove your identity in person, not online. You need to do this within 14 days after you submit your claim.

Other forms

When you do your claim online, we may ask you to give us more information. You may need to complete some extra forms. We will tell you which ones.

You don’t need to complete these forms unless we ask.

If you’re We may ask you to complete the
16 years or over

Carer Allowance Questionnaire – Carer not living with the person for whom care is being provided form

Carer Payment and/or Carer Allowance – Medical Report for a person 16 years or over form

Carer Payment and Carer Allowance review of care provided – Caring for a person 16 years or over form

Under 16 years

Carer Allowance – Medical Report for a child under 16 years form

Carer Payment and/or Carer Allowance – Care needs assessment (for a child under 16 years) form

Carer Payment and Carer Allowance – Medical Report for a child under 16 years form

Wait for the results

We will tell you:

  • if you’re eligible
  • when we'll start paying you
  • how much you’ll get

If the claim is for a child you'll get either:

  • a payment and Health Care Card, or
  • a Health Care card only

If you claimed online, you can track its progress online. Just sign in to your Centrelink online account through myGov or to the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app to use the Claim Tracker. It will estimate a completion date and tell you if your claim is on hold.

You have the right to appeal any decision we make. Read more about reviews and appeals.

Page last updated: 19 July 2018