Travel outside Australia

We may pay Carer Allowance if you leave Australia for a short time. You must still meet the Carer Allowance rules at all times.

There are rules about:

  • if we can pay Carer Allowance while you’re outside Australia
  • how long we can keep paying it
  • how much we can pay you.

When we can’t pay you

Your Carer Allowance stops as soon as you or the person getting care leave Australia to live in another country.

When we can pay you

The rules about how long we can pay you might be different based on your situation.

If you travel with the person getting care

If you leave Australia temporarily, we can keep paying you for the first 6 weeks of your trip.

If you travel without the person getting care

If you leave Australia temporarily, we can either keep paying you:

We will pay you for whichever option happens first.

If the person getting care is your child aged under 16

We’ll pay you for the first 6 weeks of your temporary overseas travel if your child stays with your partner. Your payment will stop on departure if you move overseas permanently.

If the person getting care travels without you

We can keep paying you until they return or you run out of breaks from caring, whichever happens first.

When to tell us about your travel plans

You need to tell us if you or the person you care for leave Australia and:

  • either of you are leaving to live in another country
  • either of you will be away for more than 6 weeks
  • you aren’t travelling together.

Otherwise you don’t need to tell us. The immigration department will tell us when you leave and return.

How to tell us

The easiest way is through your Centrelink online account via myGov.

Learn how to register for an online account if you don’t already have one.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by either:

Read payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 7 November 2019