Your options and obligations for Carer Payment.

Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could reduce or stop your Carer Payment.

Confirm or update your caring details

If you get a Carer Payment, we may send you a letter asking about your caring details and address. We’ll ask you to confirm or update these details.

Breaks from caring

You can still get Carer Payment if someone else provides care while you have a break, or the person you provide care for goes into hospital.

Transfer to Carer Payment adult

When the person you provide care for is almost 16 you can request to transfer to Carer Payment and Carer Allowance for an adult.

Advance payment

You may get part of your income support payment or Family Tax Benefit (Part A) early. This is an advance payment. You pay it back later out of your payments from us.

Weekly payment option

Some people can get income support payments paid each week instead of each fortnight.

If you travel outside Australia

We may pay Carer Payment if you leave Australia for a short time. You must keep meeting Carer Payment rules at all times.

Someone to deal with us on your behalf

You can have an authorised representative deal with us on your behalf. You can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.

Income reporting

How much you or your partner earn affects your payment. We need to know what you and your partner earn so we pay you the right amount.

Overdrawn bank account

You can get help to manage your money if your bank account is overdrawn.

Veteran Payment and your compensation claim affects your Income Support Payment

Information to help you make a choice between Veteran Payment and your income support payment.

Page last updated: 19 July 2018

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.