Carer Payment

If you travel outside Australia

We may pay Carer Payment if you leave Australia for a short time. You must keep meeting Carer Payment rules at all times.

There are rules about:

  • if we can pay Carer Payment while you’re outside Australia
  • how long we can keep paying it
  • how much we can pay you

When we can’t pay you

Your Carer Payment stops as soon as you or the person getting care leave Australia to live in another country.

When we can pay you

If you travel with the person getting care

We will keep paying you for the first 6 weeks of your trip, if you leave temporarily.

If you travel without the person getting care

If you leave Australia temporarily, we keep paying you for the first 6 weeks of your trip or until you run out of respite days. You have 63 respite days per year.

What may be different

Your rules might be different

  • if you go to a country that has a social security agreement with Australia - we can pay you for longer if:
  • if you’re studying overseas as part of a full time Australian course, we can pay you for more than 6 weeks - you still must be meeting caring rules.
  • if the person getting care travels without you - we can keep paying you until you run out of respite days

When to tell us about your travel plans

You need to tell us if you or the person you care for leave Australia and:

Otherwise you don’t need to tell us. The immigration department will tell us when you leave and return.

How to tell us

The easiest way is using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

Learn how to register for an online account if you don’t already have one.

If you can’t use an online account, tell us your travel plans by:

Payment rate outside Australia

How much we can pay you while you’re outside Australia depends on how long you’re away.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

If you leave Australia temporarily for less than 6 weeks

Your payment normally won’t change.

If you leave Australia temporarily for more than 6 weeks

Usually we stop paying you after 6 weeks.

If we can keep paying you:

Page last updated: 27 July 2018